[OSM-dev] Map rendering code... API or database direct?

immanuel.scholz at gmx.de immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Thu Mar 30 12:05:52 BST 2006

Hi,

> I am in favour of the suggestion to enforce a maximum line segment
> length, so that tile code can just request a margin around the
> required area and be sure to get all segments which pass through that
> tile.

Well, you don't *need* to have this enforced (although it would not hurt
much ;-).

An application can silently assume that there are no line segments longer than
xxx, which will result in just not drawing line segments in some cases. This
is probably an advantage anyway, since too long line segments almost anytime
result in some client errors when projecting stuff. (This is true especally
for read-only display clients like freemap).

Ciao, Imi.