[OSM-dev] Projection Issues

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Wed May 31 19:53:40 BST 2006

>Yep. The mapfile is just a configuration file, but OL will talk to any
>WMS.

>The problem I was having with the new renderer is a 'zoom' parameter,
>which I wasn't sure what effect it had :) But it does seem that the new
>dev renderer works fine in OL:

>http://crschmidt.net/projects/openstreetmap/devrender

Looks good... will investigate this openlayers api further to see if it
will do stuff like pushpins, etc, which I would like to do for both
Freemap (free-map.org.uk) and OSM as a whole.

The 'zoom' parameter was needed for a while but isn't now: the renderer
will calculate the zoom from the bbox, width and height.

>The only modification I had to make to the OL code was to change bbox to
>BBOX, etc.: Capitalizing keys in the URL request. Note that this is
>against the WMS spec -- params are case insensitive -- so you should
>probably just lowercase or uppercase all your param values, with
>something like :

>foreach(array_keys($_GET) as $key) {
$_GET[strtoupper($key)] = $_GET[$key];
}

>to be compatible with as many WMS clients as possible. (Is this code in
>SVN? I couldn't find it, or I'd have attached a patch.)

It's in the freemap directory. Specifically: osm.php for the OSM layer and
srtm.php for the SRTM layer.

Nick