[OSM-dev] [Talk-GB] Motorway and Railway progress (simplifying OSM data)

Andreas Brauchli linux at elementarea.net
Sun Nov 5 11:43:34 GMT 2006

hey jon,

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 23:42 +0000, Jon Burgess wrote:
> Here is my initial attempt at a script to simplify an OSM file by
> removing data which is invisible at high zoom levels.
[..]
> is lost and corrupted during the simplification process (nodes are
> aligned to the grid, segment endpoints are moved to the grid aligned
> nodes etc).

in my osm2mp.php script (see OSM_Map_On_Garmin), the next step (once i
get time to code again) is to add an abstraction function for higher
zoom levels (garmin devices have several layers with different precision
to reduce CPU-usage). this is where this comes in handy:

i like the implementation as it's adaptable to any grid-spacing-size..
first step is going to find sane values for the different zoom-levels
(layers).. have you done any tests on this?

what i had in mind was a different approach, but this is probably
simpler..maybe i'll take a round function instead of (int) for
roundings..

andreas