[OSM-dev] [Talk-GB] Motorway and Railway progress (simplifying OSM data)

Jon Burgess jburgess at uklinux.net
Sun Nov 5 23:19:03 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 19:19 +0100, Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany)
wrote:
> Great. This sounds like I can use this for gpsdrive too :-)
>
> > The output data should _not_ be fed back to the OSM database.
>
> What about nameing the default output-file something like *.lowres-osm

Good idea.

A new version is attached with several enhancements.

I have added an option to specify the output file name which defaults to
something based on the input file name + resolution.

This new version is also much more memory efficient by filtering the
node/segments & ways as they are being read. Processing the whole of
planet.osm in one go is still beyond my machine. It looks like it needs
around 3GB of memory for this. I'll add an --area option which should be
trivial using Geo::Filter::Area.

	Jon