[OSM-dev] Mixed character encoding in planet.osm - plan for fixing it

Jonas Svensson jonas at mozoft.com
Wed Nov 8 10:21:22 GMT 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, raphael Jacquot wrote:

> Ralf Zimmermann wrote:
>
>> How did the wrong encoding get into the database? Here are my first
>> thoughts:
>> - JOSM
>> - Online applet on OSM web page
>> - other editors
>
> I'd blame the mysql first, as postgres complains loudly when trying to
> insert something that's not valid utf-8 in a utf-8 database

Pardon me for not understanding. Can you please explain why you say there
are errors in the database? I have not checked every and each tag but the
one I tested this sunday were correct utf-8 when retrieved by the api
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/REST> but faulty when extracted
from the database dump file
<http://planet.openstreetmap.org/planet-061105.osm.bz2>. Is the webserver
converting characters from latin-1 to utf-8?

/Jonas