[OSM-dev] [OTish] php on the command line

James R Glasgow james at jrglasgow.com
Sun Oct 8 05:52:32 BST 2006

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Am attempting to develop the Freemap renderer into a flexible rendering
> system, capable of reading from the live API, a local .osm file or a local
> database, and writing either ImageMagick or GD png.
>
> Would also like it to be runnable from the command line. I'd prefer not to
> have to convert from PHP to some other language. Is anyone aware of any
> issues using PHP as a standalone, non web based, scripting language? Having
> to install it on Windows is the main one that springs to mind.
>
> Nick

PHP works great from the command line.  I have used it before in this
manner. And Yes, the only problem is that you have to have it installed,
well not actually installed, you have  to have the windows binaries and
the libraries on the system, you would need a registry entry to allow
any file with the .php extension to run automatically, and the php.ini
file in the system32 directory. otherwise you can have all the binaries
and libraries in one folder for example "c:\php" without the registry
entry you just have to run for the program "c:\php\php.exe
path\script.php" to run the script.

James R Glasgow