[OSM-dev] OSM Applet

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 13:05:39 BST 2006

Hello,

I've taking a look at the applet source code, and was hoping I could
get a couple of tips from anyone who has worked on it, or anyone who
has worked on applets before.

Using Eclipse as an IDE, there are some immediate problems.  For
example, when running the applet within eclipse,  there are problems
associated with Applets use of classes like:

org.apache.commons.httpclient.UsernamePasswordCredentials

that interact with apache, and classes like, JSObject that talk to java script.

I can get it running in a pretty hacky way - At the moment I am
changing variables like userName, to "myusername" to test the app.  Is
this a sensible way to test and debug?  It seems ok for looking at
some aspects of the applet, but what happens when I need to look at
the connection to apache - is there some form of emulator/plugin for
eclipse (or another IDE) that can deal with these connections?

I'd be interested to hear how anyone has gone about running the applet
for development - even if the answer is "i dont use an IDE" - in this
case, how do you log errors, or replicate step-into's, break points
etc?  I genreally prefer working in vim to Eclipse or other IDEs, but
debugging a java program seems a lot more complex than degbugging
ruby?

Cheers,

Nick