[OSM-dev] Think I've found the renderer bug

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Sep 4 12:27:23 BST 2006

Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> Testing on the dev server, I think I've found the bug that's
> causing the non-rendering of ways properly. [...]

>         segs << [row['segment_id'].to_i] <-- HERE
>           way.segs.each do |segid|
>               @tagged_segments[segid.id.to_i].style =
> @rules.get_style(way.tags) unless way.tags.nil? or
> @tagged_segments[segid.id.to_i].nil?

This is where my old knowledge of half a dozen programming
languages from Fortran to Perl doesn't really help me.  In most
cases I can read sourcecode and spot algorithmic errors, but I
would really need to take a crash course in Ruby syntax.  Does
"<<" mean the same as in C++, does "@" mean the same as in Perl,
and was the "?" on the last line part of Nick's question or part
of the sourcecode?

What I can see from dao.rb and many other files is that they are
not much commented, and there really is no other technical
documentation.  This is a sign of too few programmers having
looked at the code, which increases the risk for blunders.

I always recommend reading source code as a social activity, even
if you don't intend to modify it.  Is anybody interested in
joining a "reading circle" for OSM sourcecode and could the dev
list be used for this?  A good definition is given here,
http://www.sil.org/lingualinks/literacy/ReferenceMaterials/GlossaryOfLiteracyTerms/WhatIsAReadingCircle.htm
only that I want to apply the concept to sourcecode rather than
literature.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)