[OSM-dev] API down?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Sep 5 18:28:15 BST 2006

Nick Hill wrote:

> I expect the API to be working, but slow at the moment as I am
> copying large amounts of data on DB.
>
> At around 00:30 BST, I will set DB to read-only hopefully only
> for a short time to perform a back-up.

What's the current status?  On Thursday August 31, some changes
were made to the tile renderer, I guess it was the SQL.  Database
load went down and tile generation throughput went up.  The slippy
map showed only white thin lines, but was pretty fast.  Perhaps
more important, I didn't see any all-white tiles and none where
streets were missing.

Since yesterday Monday September 4, the slippy map has colors
again, and is very slow again, still right now.  Is the slowness
because of the changes that also brought back the colors, or
because of your (ongoing?) backup?  Together with the current
slowness, I'm again seeing plenty of all-white tiles and tiles
where streets are missing.  It's starting to look like my terrible
screenshot from August 27,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Broken-Uddevalla.png

I really like the colors, but I prefer speed even more.  And I
totally hate the broken tiles.

Do we have any logs from which we can compile statistics on how
often the tiles get broken?  Or are we acting as if it just
doesn't matter?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)