[OSM-dev] Externalising rendering WAS: Re: API down?

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 15:47:14 BST 2006

The rendering on both programs may be relatively slow (perhaps compared
to how fast SVG could be rendered). However, I don't find them
absolutely slow on a 4 y/o Athlon 2200+.

Using Firefox; To render my SE6 area to 561x794 pixels takes 4.5
seconds. To render central chester (the current map of the week) to a
tile 180x267 takes less than one second. I estimate an average rendering
time for each complete slippy map 700x500px to take less than 4 seconds
on my system using FF 1.5.05.