[OSM-dev] Alpha of rails OSM

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Sep 14 14:07:51 BST 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 02:06:27PM +0200, Thomas Walraet wrote:
> SteveC wrote (a long time ago) :
> > The rails transition will mean going to 0.4 API. At minimum I think this
> > will include editor uploading of GPX files and last position/zoom of
> > users.
>
> I don't see why you want to put last position/zoom of users in the API.
>
> It something that should IMHO be handled by the software used to see the
> map (JOSM will keep it on a local file, the slippy map could keep it on
> a cookie). There's no need to add this complexity to the server.

If it's not in the API, every time the user uses a new application,
they'll have to get themselves to the right place. It's nice to have the
abiility to use the API to store this globally pertinent piece of
information... and it's just not that hard, since the API will have to
be written for the web app anyway. Cookies aren't reliable enough to
depend upon.

Storing the location for a user in the API means less tile loading. I
don't have to spend time and tile generation CPU zooming through various
levels to the place wehre I want to be. With cookies, you have to do
that for every new computer you go to.

--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta