[OSM-dev] Overall MapFeatures.xml File. was: Addition to JOSM - 'map style' display

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Fri Sep 15 19:09:21 BST 2006

On Friday 15 September 2006 18:04, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> I have now added some code to JOSM (downloaded revision 141) to optionally

> Secondly, the look and feel of the 'map style' display is governed by a
> very simple XML format, similar to the Freemap rules file, which covers
> linear ways, areas and POI nodes:
>
> <rules>

This sounds great.
I tried to add POI drawing support to osm-pdf-atlas these days too. But for
this i didn't want to invent the mapping between icons and map-feature again.
So I had a look at the osmarender rules which turned out to be too
complicated to parse and interpret for me. Then i had a look at the
freemap.xml file, which seemed like a good start to me. So my Idea was
similar. What about creating a general OSM-Map-Feature.xml file which is the
same for all applications. These then can use these definitions for entering
or rendering Map Features.
So my question is: Where do we place this file in the OSM-SVN?

The second question would be if we also can use a common set of structured
icons for all applications. For this I started the icons folder in SVN. it's
located at:
 svn.openstreetmap.org/map-icons/
This would enable us to have a unique look of all map icons over all
OSM-Applications.

I updated the current SVN. But i cannot find the file. Where did you place it?

-
Joerg