[OSM-dev] Proposal: Database accelerator and dirty tile marker based on simple algorithm.

Nigel Magnay nigel.magnay at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 17:48:36 BST 2006

> We're here to create *free* geographic information, not to
> reinvent geographic information systems (GIS) from the bottom up.
> There is already plenty of free software for GIS.  Before you
> start to flip bits around, have you looked at what is already
> available in PostGIS, GRASS, and similar FreeGIS packages?

And what good is that geodata if you can't get at it accurately, and
quickly? Are PostGIS, GRASS and similar FreeGIS packages of any use? Can
they collaboratively be used to build maps? Can they be deployed on PDAs and
parse the OSM data set ? If so, why aren't we using them ?

Your current activities is removing focus from the gathering of
> free geodata.  That is harmful to OSM.

This is *dev* list, for "developer discussion". If discussing improvements
to what we're developing isn't "dev", then I don't know what is and I,
frankly, find your suggestion that this is 'harmful to OSM' /astonishingly/
rude.