[OSM-dev] Proposal: Database accelerator and dirty tile marker based on simple algorithm.

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Wed Sep 20 10:07:37 BST 2006

> > What happened to Chris Schmitt(was that it?)'s renderer using
> > shapefiles? That looked a lot faster than what we have now.
>
> doing planet.osm -> GML -> shapefile is problematic now that planet.osm
> is huge, anyone who can do it is welcome to try.

One project I had in mind was osm->shapefile direct. Whether I do this depends
on time factors however, at the moment I've got the following things I want
to do:

- display landsat on JOSM, for area drawing
- build Freemap
- work starts again on October 1st :-)

> Oh and im not sure if this has been discussed or relevant but the
> renderer at least spits out _projected_ tiles.

Given the issues with Chris' renderer, would it be worthwhile me doing some
work on the current renderer, to improve/optimise it? If you (Steve) or other
people think so, I'll prioritise time on that, because obviously the renderer
is a big part of osm.

Might rails mean many of the performance issues with it lessen anyhow?

Nick