[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Tile and dev down

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 16:40:49 BST 2006

Hello Etienne

If there is a local power failure, given the upstream network
infrastructure will not be on UPS, we will inevitably experience some
service outage. If we can ensure the servers come back up in the event
of power interruption, all should be well.

There are some other aspects of UPS which come into the equation;
potential data loss, potential UPS failures and increased energy demand
through UPS systems.

Data loss is the biggest concern. UPS can help, but this is really best
addressed through backup strategy, as there are so many potential points
of failure which could lead to data loss, not related to power source
failure.

Potential UPS failure; If the UPS failed, all systems will be offline
until someone can bypass the UPS. UPSs also need periodic maintenance
and replacement of lead-acid accumulators. This brings in disposal
issues and environmental issues.

Increased energy demand. UPS systems loose some supply energy.
Currently, this financial cost would be externalised from the OSM
project as we don't (currently) pay for the direct electricity and
electricity used for air conditioning cooling. However, OSM servers are
built with environmental consideration and use recycled materials where
appropriate. OSM can therefore claim to be an environmentally conscious
project. I personally try to live with a small ecological footprint, so
I prefer options which don't involve energy and material consumption.

What's next for OSM?
Hardware-wise, I will be installing a new tile server this week with
much more on-line storage. We need an intelligent tile invalidation and
rendering scheduling system. This new server I intend to install this
week (Athlon 64/400GB) will provide the smooth slippy map rendering we
crave *once we have the as-yet unwritten invalidation/scheduling
system*. For more info:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2006-September/002125.html

Hardware-wise, the next best thing we can do is swap the core of the new
A64 server to dual-core Perhaps in a month. When 2Gb fast DDR DIMMs
become affordable, upgrade the memory on DB then move dual-channel
memory from DB to tile++.