[OSM-dev] Slippy map's future

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sat Sep 30 14:45:58 BST 2006

On Saturday 30 Sep 2006 11:56, Thomas Walraet wrote:
> Nick Whitelegg a écrit :
> > Please do speak up if you feel I'm going down the wrong path.
>
> Not the wrong path, but you didn't speak about client side for the
> (non-svg-)slippy map. Tile generation could be improved on the server
> side, but I think we could also improve the client side.
>
> Things like :
> - Downloading tiles on the middle of the screen first
> - Reuse tiles from previous zoom level
> - Prevent unneeded tile download (when the map is moved before all tiles
> are here)
> - package and document it for mashups

Adopting openlayers on the client side would mean using an actively developed
and well-used slippy map API. There are issues with Mercator projection, i.e.
at the moment, you need, I think, to use metres, not degrees, for the
bounding box if you want to use Mercator, but these could be solved by
developing an OpenLayers layer which does the reprojection.

Nick