[OSM-dev] Is there interest in a Win32 installer for JOSM?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Sun Apr 1 03:13:32 BST 2007

Hi List!

As I couldn't find a seperate mailing list for josm, I guess I'm right
here ;-)

Is there interest in having a Win32 installer for JOSM?

While "installing" the jar file is pretty simple - simply copy it
somewhere on your hard disk -  it's just not the way a common win32 user
is used to work. Still no entry in the start menu, launch bar, no
association with .osm files and alike. And then getting into the
installation of plugins can be very painful if you are not an
experienced user.

So having a Win32 installer would make the program much more usable for
the common windows user IMHO.

I have experience in building such an installer (using NSIS
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page for Wireshark
http://www.wireshark.org/) for years now, so it won't be very difficult
for me.

However, working on such an installer would be pointless when the osm
community is in principle against it. Once it's stable, it should be
e.g. added to the appropriate download pages.

So should I start a try or will it be pointless?

Regards, ULFL