[OSM-dev] Is there interest in a Win32 installer for JOSM?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Sun Apr 1 03:54:56 BST 2007

Grant Slater wrote:
> Having a Windows installer for JOSM is a great idea. Anything to lower
> the barrier to entry is a good thing.
Exactly what I had in mind :-)
> A few things to consider...
> - Installing and enabling plugins.
Yes, I'll start with the plugins I currently use myself (still a newbie):
- mappaint
- osmarender
- wmsplugin

Others can be added later.

NSIS provides the feature of manipulation an ini file. The preferences
file looks like it, but it doesn't have category section at the start
(e.g. something like [josm]), so I currently don't know if it can be
manipulated this way - but I'll find out.
> - Linking newbies to a guide on the wiki.
ACK

However, the Wiki is a bit confusing for a newbie :-(

A single "newbie entry point" might be useful.
> - Testing for Java 1.5 or greater
Should be possible by using
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Get_full_Java_version, maybe we even want to
have a JAVA "download and install" option, but that's for later.
> - Pre-filling JOSM download bookmarks with something (maybe)
Ah, good idea!

> Let me know if I can help in any way.
Thanks, not for now.

I'll try to get to a running first version, then I'll come back later
(hopefully later today).

Regards, ULFL