[OSM-dev] Tiger Import dev environment

Don Smith dcsmith at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 17:52:08 BST 2007

I agree that shapefile seems to be the way to go for general imports.
My hope however is to get the tiger data in as quickly as possible.
Skimming the tiger site appears to show that the shapefile transition
won't happen until much later this year. I'd like, rather than to
think about a general import strategy, to stay goal oriented on
tiger. It seems that everyone seems positive about python, which does
discard the current ruby scripts, however since the current idea is
to pull everything into mysql and then do transformations on the data
afterwords, which since the current files are broken up by county
seems to be the more accurate choice.

As for the debian setup, what am I missing other than apt installs of
the relevant pieces. Frankly as long as the box has mysql running,
python installed with the ability to connect to mysql and ssh, I
believe that's all that's neccesary.

Don Smith