[OSM-dev] Some help with proj.4

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 8 17:41:20 BST 2007

Hi Frederik,

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I don't want to be rude here but the words "dream on" have just crossed
> my mind ;-)
>
> Maybe I, in turn, see too many difficulties where there are none, but I
> do not believe that simply applying a standard path finding algorithm
> will do the trick, at least not on usual hardware, because of the sheer
> size of the graph.

Nothing is simple until you implement it :) Maybe doing some prototyping
in Prolog/Mercury/Haskell will give us an idea how 'hard' it is. (And
maybe how much caching we can use.) For serveral homework assignments in
Prolog we needed to implement trainrouting with A*, ofcourse OSM is
bigger graph ;)

So before we are going to flame how hard it can be ;) Lets think about a
way how to 'strip' roads from the OSM into junctions with graphs. Then the
theoretical stuff can be applyed on the practical side.

Stefan