[OSM-dev] Whole-planet JOSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Apr 11 21:43:13 BST 2007

Hi,

> Currently, as the number of nodes loaded into JOSM increases, it gets
> less and less responsive.

The workaround is of course, carry the planet file with you and extract
relevant bounding boxes from it with the scripts in utils/. Yes I know
it isn't cool ;-)

> Has anyone thought about changing JOSM to use
> a local DB and be able to load a whole planet file? Downloading an area
> with the download button would then just update that area in the local DB.
>
> The other thing that would be needed is on upload, it would need to
> download small areas around what you have changed to check for
> conflicts. Obviously, if I have changed one node in the UK and another
> in Australia, I don't need to download everything in between, only the
> nodes around each edit.

It would also be convenient if a group of people working together, but
offline, could share such a database and by downloading things from it
at least see the changes that others in the group have made. A sort of
"proxy database" with an "offline mode". Conflict resolution is going to
be tough though.

Bye
Frederik