[OSM-dev] Whole-planet JOSM

Andreas Brauchli linux at elementarea.net
Thu Apr 12 07:29:21 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 23:47 +0100, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:

> SteveC wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 20:36 +0100, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> > > I'd like to be able to take my laptop connected to a GPS on a trip
> > > across the country and browse and edit map data without an internet
> > > connection until I get home.
> >
> > This only works if you're very very sure nobody will eddit any of these
> > areas in the meantime...
>
> But JOSM has conflict resolution for these cases already, but I would
> like an improved automatic check for conflicts download before update as
> below:
>
> > > The other thing that would be needed is on upload, it would need to
> > > download small areas around what you have changed to check for
> > > conflicts. Obviously, if I have changed one node in the UK and another
> > > in Australia, I don't need to download everything in between, only the
> > > nodes around each edit.

the solution would probably be a portable dev server that is modified to
do syncing/conflict check - then you could download just conflicting
nodes (and region) in josm, resolve them, upload and wait for sync with
the OSM-master

of course this solution is purely theoretical but the code exists for
dev server and conflict checking (which'd need to be ported from java to
ruby) and add a new interface for a conflict-bbox (get all conflicts
with 1km radius (or square for simplicity) within x1y1:x2y2)

would be useful for mapping parties, too.