[OSM-dev] Request for Comments API URL

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Wed Apr 18 11:36:55 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 12:29 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I therefore propose to set up a parallel API URL with the intention
> > all API
> > requests should migrate to that.
> > http://api.openstreetmap.org/apiversion/
>
> +1
>
> If rails cannot do this (distinguish based on Host: header), then you
> can always run the rails on port 12345 internally and use the apache
> proxy module to route "api.openstreetmap.org" requests there. But I
> am not sure who listens on port 80 anyway - is it Apache, or Rails,
> or an Apache running Rails?

exactly. People don't tend to run rails with apache these days, lighttpd
or mongrel seem to be faster.

I'd also prefer for effort to be expended finishing it off rather than
talk about things it should do once deployed - I'm all for this being a
post-deployment feature for 0.5, but it's hard enough as it is to get
0.4 out the door.

have fun,