[OSM-dev] Request for Comments API URL

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Wed Apr 18 12:28:05 BST 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 10:46:09AM +0100, Nick Hill wrote:
> The machine which serves www.openstreetmap.org has historically also served the
> API data.
>
> There is no good reason for there to be such a hard link. On the contrary, the
> heavy server processes which are required to serve the API are probably wasted
> serving static data for the front web page and mapping view pages and limit the
> way we use www.openstreetmap.org domain name.
>
> I therefore propose to set up a parallel API URL with the intention all API
> requests should migrate to that.
>
> http://api.openstreetmap.org/apiversion/

If we're going to change urls anyway, then it might be a good idea to
already split out the upload and download parts.
E.g. api-upload.openstreetmap.org and
api-download.openstreetmap.org. That way we don't have to change all
clients again when we will implement something like
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Essen_Developers_Workshop/Data_Replication

Jeroen Dekkers