[OSM-dev] dev server unresponsive

Wed Apr 25 15:36:00 BST 2007

Dirk-Lüder Kreie wrote:
 > The problem with t at h uploads is, that the clients will re-try uploading
 > until the upload succeeds, so if the server is already under load and
 > fails to cope with the increased upload load it will not recover,
 > because at some point the entire t at h crowd will be trying to upload,
 > because to the retries come the "normal" uploads.

I haven't looked at the code, but is the backoff time of clients
(exponentially) increasing on failure? If not it would make sense to
make it so. Uploads would then adapt themselves to viable retry frequencies.

But I would also say, that t at h and tiles serving should probably not be
part of the dev server. Moving t at h to a dedicated box would make sense,
wouldn't it?

Spaetz