[OSM-dev] [RAILS] The Rails Port

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Apr 26 11:41:42 BST 2007

On 26 Apr 2007, at 11:23, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Nick Black wrote:
>
>> So please have a go - this is a great chance to shape the way OSM
>> looks and
>> works.  Send questions to dev at openstreetmap.org, and please prefix
>> the
>> subject with [RAILS].  I will prioritise answering questions about
>> Rails and
>> the OSM Rails port for anyone who is interested.
>
> As a Rails n00b, I'd really appreciate some guidance on running
> OSM-on-Rails under Locomotive on OS X (http://locomotive.raaum.org/).
> I did have a look a couple of weeks back but was a bit flummoxed by
> the whole thing.

The problem with mac os is that it comes with an old version of ruby
with some things broken. It also is a bit of a pain to get ruby-
magick installed on a mac. It seems like locomotive abstracts all
this away.

What I did was use a couple of howtos to get everything compiled
(rather than use locomotive). You can find stuff here http://
del.icio.us/SteveC/rails

In this one

http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/
ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger?status=301

you only need up to ruby installed, not lighthttpd. You can easily
install mysql.

And then this for rmagick

http://simongate.com/2007/4/22/install-rmagick

I'll add this to the wiki page...