[OSM-dev] Task for OpenLayers buffs: tile grid layer?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Apr 26 23:31:22 BST 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:21:51PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I would love to have an extra layer for the slippy map that I can
> switch on to see a tile grid. Each of the tiles of that layer would look
> like this:
> I can easily create the 4096x4096 level 12 tiles and put them in a
> directory structure as required for the "likeGoogle" layer - but I
> haven't managed to convince OpenLayers and/or Firefox to actually make
> this display right. I created transparent PNG files and made the new
> layer an overlay layer instead of a base layer, but the desired
> transparency eluded me - it always showed *just* my layer instead of my
> layer on top of the base layer.

Can you set this up and give a link? I don't kno of any issues that you
should run into given the setup you've described -- make sure you're
using an overlay, and make sure the tiles are transparent, and be done.
I'll debug it if you set it up.

> Has anybody done something similar already?
>
> (Another option would of course be to but code into OpenLayers that
> prints the tile index at the right places. Much simpler in theory, but a
> look at the Javascript turned me off... maybe something like that is
> already there and just needs to be enabled?)

No, but you could right click on the tile and get the URL, if that helps
:)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt