[OSM-dev] Alternative tile webserver needed?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Apr 30 02:08:13 BST 2007

Stefan de Konink wrote:

> I'm sorry but I don't see the relation between complexity and
> least cost routing. It is just a sign that people are 1) just
> lucky they don't pay any bills 2) didn't think about scalablity.
>
> Isn't it an interesting idea to have different servers for
> different continents on the *same* location? I still *strongly*
> believe that splitting the 'higher zoomlevels' to local servers
> because they are more used locally. It saves a BUNCH of
> diskspace per server and probably makes the operation less
> complex per server.

To clarify, I only speak my own opinion here.  I'm just a mapper.

You can design a system split between two computers, still having
them in the same room. Today OSM has a classic two-tier solution,
using a "vertical" distribution of labour between one computer as
web front-end and the other as database back-end.  But you can
also do the split horizontally, serving the western hemisphere
from one computer and the eastern hemisphere from the other
computer.  Or 64 computers, each serving a slice of the world. The
horizontal split makes the system more complex.  This can
certainly be managed, but it's often easier and more economic to
just buy a stronger, single server.

But then, you can compare any of these scenarios with distributing
the servers to different physical locations.  That was what I
thought you suggested and I protested against.  This ultimately
requires the coordination of people taking care of the different
installations, including synchronized holidays.  And when anything
fails, they would start to blame each other instead of focusing on
finding the problem in their own server. What would the benefit
be?  Shorter ping times?  That's not our problem.  Lower Internet
bills?  I don't think that's our problem either.  Is it?  The
discussion was started because the tile server had a full disk.
That's a problem that can be solved for 100 euro by just buying a
new disk.  We're probably just waiting for the stores to open.

Any of these exercises can be fun and interesting in their own
right, but *that* is not the purpose of the OSM project.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)