[OSM-dev] Alternative tile webserver needed?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Apr 30 02:48:19 BST 2007

80n,

> I've added two new layers at www.informationfreeway.org
> <http://www.informationfreeway.org>:
>
> Firefishy squid proxy
> Sebastian apache proxy

Since it seems that due to a bug in the version of OpenLayers used on
the site, all layers are always loaded, I would suggest that you switch
to using *either* dev *or* one of the two proxies. The current setup
leads to each tile being requested from dev up to three times (once
directly, once by each proxy if they don't have it yet), so this is
surely worse than it was before.

The idea of using proxies is a good one and as soon as the OL bug is
fixed (SDE said he will look into that) we should do it, but at the
moment it seems to make things worse for the dev server.

Bye
Frederik