[OSM-dev] Name finder for the main OSM page?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Aug 8 10:13:08 BST 2007

On 08/08/2007 01:04, Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <46B8FB98.7030002 at frankieandshadow.com>
>           David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
>
>> A couple of easy suggestions: since you already have the info in your
>> hand from the name finder XML you could put a TITLE tag in the <A ...>
>> with the full text of the context that I return to you, so if you hover
>> over it you'll get it all, without taking up more space.
>
> I tried it, but (a) the HTML tags get in the way (though I can probably
> strip those)

or I can provide an option to not put those in

> and (b) at least for Firefox it chops off the title at about
> sixty characters or something and adds "..." on the end.

Hmm, yes that's a problem; also it times out on IE7 before you can read
it all.

What about a little + next to the entry which expands it if you click it
(like the XML display in Firefox and IE)

>> Secondly, it isn't clear to a visitor that they can qualify the search
>> by place to narrow the results significantly, or indeed a street name at
>> all. I suggest under the search box
>> "examples: 'Alkmaar', 'Regent Street, Cambridge', 'CB2 5AQ', or 'post
>> offices near Lünen' <a href='wiki page'>more examples...</a>"
>
> Space might be an issue - the search box is already quite a long way
> down if you aren't logged in. Maybe a link? I need to put the key link
> back anyway.

A link would be better than nothing, but even one example would help. It
can be in tiny type.

You could also put an example in the box which when you click in it
removes the example or selects it for overwriting. (BTW if you put
anything in square brackets, the name finder wil treat it as a comment;
though this wouldn't work for the others).

David