[OSM-dev] created_by considered harmfull

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Aug 9 10:22:45 BST 2007

Hi,

> O the database can handle a few created_by tags fine. It is the
> user side! For example I a have a N95 which is the ideal mapping
> tool and I am working on a quick fix editor for it. Unfortunatly
> I pay per transferred megabyte so I am very interested in bringing
> down overhead.

I remember early mobile devices which used a special web proxy that
would scale down images etc. for web surfers on the move. Would it
not be a good idea to write such a proxy, or even something that
converts OSM XML to a stripped binary transport format? The proxy
could, for example, only send selected tags to the mobile device and
allow only changes in these - when uploading, it would automatically
add back the rest that the mobile device didn't see...

Bye
Frederik