[OSM-dev] Detailed Coast display in Mapnik

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Aug 15 05:38:14 BST 2007

Brent Easton wrote:

> In Australia, I have added several hundred kilometres of coastline,

Good stuff!

> but I see only the approximate coastline that is merged in from the
> external data source and no blue. The coastline is complete and
> renders correctly in Osmarender.
>
> When I look at the coast of Great Britain, I see blue drawn where the
> sea should be and the coastline detailed as far as you zoom in.
>
> What do I need to do to have the coast rendered correctly in Mapnik?

Mapnik uses only external data (world_boundaries.tar.bz2, linked to on
the wiki) to render coastlines - the stuff you draw in as
natural=coastline is ignored completely.  I'm not sure why the data
breaks when you zoom in some areas (such as Australia, but people have
also complained about it in other countries).

Cameron