[OSM-dev] Relationships - working prototype

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Aug 16 10:46:57 BST 2007

On 14/08/2007 00:16, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I expect your verdict when I'm back ;-)

I think this prototype will solve a huge swath of the problems with
routes, disjoint streets, turn restrictions and so on.

I thoroughly commend it. The sooner it is implemented the sooner many of
the hacks currently being proposed will go away.

I'm surprised there hasn't been much response on the list at all, let
alone excitement about it. The fact that you've done the donkey work of
incorporating it in JOSM and the API means it has a good chance of
success; and I particularly like the fact it will not break existing
data consumers (unless they object to an XML element type they do not
understand) yet osmarender will find it easy to consume the new data i
due course, to label routes and so on.

One thing I would like to see is a (possibly optional) lat/lon for the
entity. (To be consistent, this would have its own distinct property,
rather than a lat=, lon= tag, like a node, but it could be done with
tags) This means you could have something visually to select in JOSM
representing the entity, even if the lat/lon doesn't have any
geographical significance in its own right; but also it can serve as a
strong hint to to a renderer where to put any symbol that might be
needed to show the entity (a no right turn symbol for example) - while
working it out is possible, it might be tricky, and having a helping
hand will be useful.

Do it!

David

PS, as you say, "entity" is a very general name. While the name isn't
particularly important, since what it fundamentally provides is a way of
grouping ways, then if a generic term is wanted "group" might be better,
or to make it less generic, "waygroup" or "way-group".