[OSM-dev] OSM without segments - prototype

Gabriel Ebner ge at gabrielebner.at
Fri Aug 17 13:41:10 BST 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 01:04:55PM +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:
> >Yeah, but then you have two ways using the same segments (well, nodes
> >now)... and editor support for even figuring out that that is happening is
> >poor, never mind actually then trying to manipulate the data. It just
> >seemed a good idea to try and avoid that.
>
> I don't think this is a real problem but agree that some editor support
> would be needed to find them more easily. The amount of segments with data
> which are already part of ways I think are relatively small and selecting
> and finding segments with data under ways is not exactly easy now anyway.

I have a migration script in the works that will convert unwayed segments and
tagged segments to 2-node-long ways, but it takes an order of magnitude longer
than the old one.  Damn, I'll have to rewrite it in C.

As for finding these ways, I think you could use the validator plugin for
that.  Furthermore, I have just extended JOSM's combine way action to combine
overlapping ways correctly.  You'll just have to select the converted segment
and the way it was previously part of and hit combine ways.

  Gabriel.