[OSM-dev] about mercator projection

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 18 18:15:04 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 17:09 +0200, "Martín RV (OPENGeoMap)" wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am an land surveyor and programmer in Spain.
> I would like to talk about the projection used in JOSM and in
> OpenStreetMap. I was studying the projection in Google Earth and World
> Wind, and i think that they have a good choice.

As far as I'm aware the tiles we produce are rendered using the same
projection scheme as Google Maps which is a Mercator projection with a
spherical model.

There is a lot of work invested in our current projection scheme and it
would need a very strong argument to change it now. I personally do not
see it happening.

On the plus side, all the data and rendering tools are available, so you
are free to setup a new map rendered in whatever projection you want.

	Jon