[OSM-dev] Planet dump today delayed (ie not today) :-(

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Thu Aug 23 09:04:21 BST 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 08:28:08AM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> Well the only thing I can think of is that I don't know how efficient
> the page based fetching it is doing is, especially when there is a
> condition involved.
>
> Unless it is very clever it will probably have to effectively start
> reading at the beginning of the table each time and just not return
> records until it reaches the starting point.

Given that osmosis finished within 3.5h, I'd say we should investigate whether the planet is 100% compatible to the ruby dump script. If yes, then we should switch to that. I rather have a proper tool doing the fetching which will also be able to only fetch diffs and other clever stuff later.

I am only concerned becuase the osmosis dump uses 4.1GB while the planet dump is now at 5.1GB and still growing.

spaetz