[OSM-dev] AND upload almost ready

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 24 21:37:32 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 20:11 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <46CF2B55.3050306 at rjb.za.net>
>           Ray Booysen <raybooysen at rjb.za.net> wrote:
>
> > Tom Hughes wrote:
> >
> > > Not really - to start with I don't think even Brett is claiming it's
> > > ready for production use yet.
> > >
> > > Plus I thought we'd already agreed to go through the rails object model
> > > rather than hitting the database directly. I'd like some sort of checking
> > > that database integrity constraints aren't being broken you see.
> >
> > Thats a fair point.  Everything should be going through the API not the
> > DB directly.  Seems like too many mistakes could be made any other way.
>
> The point is to not go through the API as such (too slow due to all
> the network round trips) but to still go through the rails object
> module by writing code that does Node.create(...) or whatever.

What about a script which could run on dev issuing requests to
localhost. Surely that would be very fast without bypassing the API?

Unfortunately even a 'headless' JOSM would not work since it would
require too much RAM to load the current AND.osm file. The file was
roughly 1GB last time I ran and2osm. In my experience JOSM needs RAM of
several times the size of the OSM file, e.g. a 150MB osm file failed to
load into JOSM with 1GB allocated to the JVM, but worked with 2GB.

	Jon