[OSM-dev] AND upload almost ready

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Sat Aug 25 01:18:33 BST 2007

Tom Hughes wrote:
> Not really - to start with I don't think even Brett is claiming it's
> ready for production use yet.

Yeah, the write-mysql-change has had the least focus up until now.
Guaranteed to have a few issues. It also has one limitation that may
rule it out completely at this point. The "create" code assumes that all
entities have already been assigned ids unlike JOSM which I believe
assigns them a negative id until a real one is allocated. It has been
targeted as a replication change mechanism more than an edit change
mechanism if that makes sense. Probably just a simple matter of some
additional coding but it's not there yet ...
> Plus I thought we'd already agreed to go through the rails object model
> rather than hitting the database directly. I'd like some sort of checking
> that database integrity constraints aren't being broken you see.

This is the bigger issue. Osmosis doesn't do any form of integrity
checking. This is intentional because in a replication scenario it
shouldn't be necessary, it adds additional overhead which I was trying
to avoid, I didn't want to be constantly breaking due to invalid data in
current databases (not sure if this is a problem), and long term I was
kind of hoping this would be taken care of by the database itself ;-)

Again, this feature doesn't sound too complicated but it's not there yet.
> Tom
My list of feature requests keeps growing ...