[OSM-dev] AND upload almost ready

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Sat Aug 25 12:52:53 BST 2007

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Ok, but what I was thinking of was more --write-api-change. This way
> all the stuff still goes via the API, but by running it directly on
> the server via the loopback interface you don't have the RTT and
> bandwidth limitations.
>
> I was more asking if TomH had any problem with running the program
> osmosis, being written in Java. I could well imagine the
> --write-mysql-change not quite being up to it yet.

No worries.  I'll leave it to you guys to figure out the best way of
doing it.  If you want to use osmosis and need to create/enhance tasks
I'm happy to help.
>> It also has one limitation that may
>> rule it out completely at this point. The "create" code assumes that all
>> entities have already been assigned ids unlike JOSM which I believe
>> assigns them a negative id until a real one is allocated.
>>

> This is a SMOP (simple matter of programming). I might do this. At the
> very least the --sort stuff will be useful.

Cool.  If you have any questions on how things hang together or want
some assistance getting started let me know.  If you wish to create a
--write-api-change task you'll need to create a new implementation of
the ChangeSink interface.  XmlChangeWriter is an example of this.
You'll then need to create a matching factory class to make it creatable
via the command line (eg. XmlChangeWriterFactory).  Finally you'll need
to register the factory with a name in TaskRegistrar.

If you want to enhance or fix the existing --mysql-change-writer task,
it's implementation is unsuprisingly in MysqlChangeWriter.

Cheers,
Brett