[OSM-dev] Map of the whole world, starting with europe

Diarmuid Wrenne dwrenne at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 01:17:42 GMT 2007

Guys,

I want to develop a system for displaying position data in real time on maps. It will be a commercial system  but I doubt that it will be so commercial that I want to pay for online mapping. I have looked at the google maps license and that looks like it is a no-goer as it explicitly says no GPS data. Yahoo says only data that is more than 6 hours old. Microsoft does not seem to have a GPS criterion but they have a 100,000 transaction limit. What I really want is my own system that will render imagery the way open street map does.

I have seen the demos from http://www.openlayers.org/ and they look exactly right. How would I get world scale data?

http://ka-map.maptools.org/

I presume the best way would be to use mapserver and openlayers as they seem to have a pretty good system. I can precreate the tiles too.

Where can I get free data that would show reasonable coastlines of europe and the US.

Cheers

Diarmuid

NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail message and any attached files may be confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail and any attached files is unauthorised. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail and delete the original.