[OSM-dev] Shaded relief in OSM

Hakan Tandogan hakan at gurkensalat.com
Wed Dec 5 16:00:00 GMT 2007

On Wed, December 5, 2007 16:21, Tom Hughes wrote:
> Artem Pavlenko <artem.mapnik at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Should we be using this data (public domain AFAIK)  for mapnik layer
>> or on separate layer ? What do cartographers think?
>
> I would think the obvious thing to do is to change our current
> layers to have a transparent background, then we can get OL to render them
> over other things if we want - be that relief tiles like this or OAM
> imagery or whatever.

If there wasn't that pesky IE5 which can't show transparent PNG's...

Maybe we should render multiple transparent PNG's (say, one water layer,
one road layer, one name layer) and additionally one with all those layers
pasted together to have something for IE5 or other clients which can't use
the transparent ones.

Can the nokia devices show transparent PNGs?

Regards,
Hakan

--
The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering...