[OSM-dev] Shaded relief in OSM

Thu Dec 6 14:16:54 GMT 2007

Artem Pavlenko wrote:

> Yes, this is my feeling as well. The resolution is no good for high
> zoom levels.

Not sure how you're doing the relief, but SRTM is certainly capable of
producing good results for large-scale maps if you "join the dots", so
to speak. gdal_contour and DEM2TOPO will do this for top-down contours
but, as to how you do the maths for the perspective shaded relief...?

> I see having two sets with different cartography is a better approach.

Project 2977 (see previous mail to talk :) ) is to mock up a highly
stylised impression of what OSM cartography _could_ look like, and
throw it at a Mapnik guru.

cheers
Richard