[OSM-dev] OSM Mapnik in SVN

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Thu Dec 20 21:55:23 GMT 2007

Hi!

I have changed some things in svn:applications/rendering/mapnik:

First, there is a README now explaining everything (as far as I
understand it).

Second, the "convert" script to change hardcoded paths in "osm.xml" and
the hardcoded paths in the "generate_*" scripts were just too ugly.

Now there is a shell script called "set-mapnik-env" where all the
settings can be done in one place (and they are all documented inside
the script). These settings can then be used with the
"customize-mapnik-map" script to create the "osm.xml" file from the new
"osm-template.xml" file. And the same settings are read by the "generate_*"
scripts.

I have left the now obsolete "convert" script and "osm.xml" files in
place for now in case somebody depends on it. Also the "generate_*"
scripts will fall back to the old hardcoded paths if the right
environment variables are not set.

If you change anything in the Mapnik Map file, please change
osm-template.xml in the future.

This is still all much too complicated, but hopefully its a first step to
get things easier to understand and use.

Jochen