[OSM-dev] Messing with planet

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 14:22:26 GMT 2007

On Dec 22, 2007 12:24 PM, Andy Robinson (blackadder)
<blackadderajr at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Would be helpful if those with planet experience could share your current
> method of processing and analysing planet and the amount of disk and memory
> you think is the current minimum.

I don't think there are really any tools that handle a planet dump
that *don't* support compressed versions. Certainly, I've not
uncompressed a planet dump in quite a while.

At least osmosis, osm2pgsql and several others read compressed files just fine.

Have noticed that some tools require a lot of memory for temporary
storage, though the removal of segments helped a lot.

How big is the uncompressed planet dump these days anyway... Something
rediculous no doubt...

Have a nice day,