[OSM-dev] Street Addresses with Relations?

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Tue Dec 25 16:19:12 GMT 2007

Andy, thanks for the pointer!

On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 11:30 -0700, Kelly Jones wrote:
> I'd like to upload 200K+ nodes that weren't obtained from a GPS
> track. Specifically, the nodes representing every street address in
> Albuquerque, NM:
>
> http://www.cabq.gov/gisshapes/
>
> I've confirmed this information is public domain.
>
> What's the best way to do this?

Hi Kelly!

Trying to get the street addresses into OSM sounds like a great idea.
But, I'm not sure the best way to go about it, just yet.  Let's cc the
dev list where some more of the hard core people are sure to see it. :)

You might want to take a quick look here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Protocol_Version_0.5

to see how relations work.

Is anyone else around using relations to describe street addresses?  I
have the feeling that just uploading ~200k nodes by themselves won't be
horribly useful by itself.  My thought is that we should attach the data
as directly to the other OSM objects as possible.  Perhaps give a
relation with a src and destination node in a way and an associated
address range.

Kelly, could you give us an idea of how your data is organized?  Is it a
gps coordinate for each individual address, or is it more in ranges?

-- Dave