[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Ideas for OSM enhancements

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 07:05:42 GMT 2007

Karl Newman wrote:
> osm files. Those files could then be processed by mkgmap. Garmin
> devices currently only support up to 2 GB MicroSD cards, but you're
> more likely to run into the limit of 2025 map segments first. We
> probably won't have the luxury of making the tiles uniform size,
> because obviously urban areas will have much more road density than
> rural areas. But if we were able to chunk it up into 4 degree square
> sections (obviously quite large near the equator), the planet could be
> covered in 4050 sections (360 x 180 / 16). Obviously, ocean areas will
> subtract a significant number from that.

Hello,

I'm not sure the memory capacity on Garmin units is the only (and the
main) limitation. What about the processing power? Loading a huge amount
of map data onto a unit probably slows down its processing (map
rendering, for example). I haven't tried uploading a large map on my
Garmin, but I'm wondering if it affects the performance? Have you had
any experience with it?
And one more thing: how long would it take to upload a large map? Even
for small maps (20 MB) it takes about minute or so.

Regards,
Igor Brejc