[OSM-dev] coastline polygons

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Feb 7 15:27:02 GMT 2007

Hi,

> I've uploaded lastest coastline polygons to
> artem at dev.openstreetmap.org:~/coastline
>
> shoreline.*  - coastline polygons
> shoreline_l.* - coastline polylines

I haven't followed your efforts closely until now, and haven't fully
understood what is going on. I have no idea what "LineStrings" are,
and have never used mapnik. However it seems clear that you are
somehow storing coastline data outside of the OSM database, and then
linking it in when rendering tiles.

Is this because keeping the coastline data in OSM poses a volume/
performance problem, and how does it relate to the various "almien"
coastline imports we are seeing already?

I would be very much in favour of coastline being stored in OSM
because that would make them editable for everyone without special
(non-OSM) tools.

Bye
Frederik