[OSM-dev] osmarender+tiles at home projection bug

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 12:29:26 GMT 2007

On 2/15/07, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:
> It would be much easier to do it the other way round: Pre-process the
> OSM file and add projected coordinates to it and then let Osmarender do
> its thing. Its easier because you just have to look at all the @lat and
> @lon attributes of the nodes while in SVG there are many places which
> have coordinates.

There's also another problem. The Mercator projection turns straight
roads into curves in a non-linear way. SVG doesn't do non-linear
transforms so that would involve splitting long roads into shorter
ones. Not a big problem, but it should be considered.

> Frederik has done some work on that. See
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmarender_bug .

Yeah, I started that page because I wanted to point out that it
*wasn't* really a problem :)

Have a nice day,