[OSM-dev] Slippy Map Layer with Maplint output

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Feb 28 20:36:31 GMT 2007

Hi,

> It would be great if Tiles at Home could render maplint style tiles, and if
> that were combined with a special request that works like this one:
> http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=7347739.31466&lon=-155530.2096&zoom=15&layers=B00

Agreed. I have seen that OJW has already designed the tile metadata
structure with the possibility of multiple layers in mind; a few changes
to the upload scripts, and it would be possible to upload "normal" as
well as maplint layers.

Of course one could also have maplint on a completely different system
but it would be more efficient to calculate tiles for all layers from
one set of data that you downloaded.

However the whole client-server interaction would grow more complex. If
we required each renderer to have maplint installed and do maplint tiles
at the same time it does osmarender, then it would be ok, but if we have
to start negotiations between server and client about which layers to
render and whether the client is equipped, that would be a nightmare.

Also, I think that maplint "tests" are perhaps not mature enough to use
them everywhere. A maplint layer for your local area is only worth
something if you can go over all the highlighted things and fix them, so
that anything highlighted the next time you look demands investigation.
Currently, maplint will probably highlight a lot of things which you
deem correct. (For example: Karlsruhe has no railway=tram, only
railway=light_rail. We can create a test for that, but you wouldn't want
to use that globally.)

Theres a pretty cool alternative we could develop: A sort of OSM
community server, where anybody can set up a local "community" by
defining some map extents and maybe a set of maplint rules and
osmarender styles, and then people mapping that area could log in there,
see their current maplint output, current slippy map, and anything else
of interest. The rendering work behind that would still have to be done
by a tiles at home-style system, but that would need to become more
complex, so that styles and rules could be transmitted together with a
rendering request... but that's perhaps a bit far away.

> http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Log/Requests/ seems to be empty most
> of the time, I think tile at home has a plenty of spare capacity to do this
> at the moment.

Don't overestimate it - as soon as metadata is avaialable again, I will
continue running my weekly "find all tiles that need updating according
to lates planet.osm" job, and this usually fills up the queue for 24 hours.

Bye
Frederik