[OSM-dev] Using Mapnik to generate tiles from shapefiles

Nick Whitelegg nick150971 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 15:32:43 GMT 2007

Hello Artem (and anyone else who knows about this subject),

Happy new year!
I would like to use Mapnik to generate tiles from shapefiles (generated from OpenStreetMap data).  The way I'm thinking of doing this is pre-preparing static tiles, either as a cron job, or on individual users' machines using an OSM at home like distributed approach, rather than as a live web service - much like the current OSM mapnik maps. Ny main interest is producing OS Landranger or Explorer like countryside maps using OSM and NASA SRTM contour data.

Is anyone able to give me the general procedure for producing tiles from shapefiles using Mapnik? I take it there'd be some sort of style file, which maps the records in the .dbf file to colours and fonts on the map. Preferred language is c++ as I know c++ but not python (as yet).

Thanks,
Nick